|Actually he usually catches these.|
Let's use Dewan's plus/minus metric as our measuring stick. Ever wondered how that stat is calculated? Here you go:
A player gets credit (a "plus" number) if he makes a play that at least one other player at his position missed during the season, and he loses credit (a "minus" number) if he misses a play that at least one player made.Simple, and effective. Here's the leaderboard through last night:
Well maybe not. Ludwick is actually fourteenth at +4. Thirty teams in the league, he sits in 14th, that means he's spectacularly average in left. Let's take it one step further: how does he stack up against the rest of the NL West?
- Parra (AZ) +23. Statistically he's the best defensive LF in the game today.
- Ludwick (SD) +4. Surprised? He ranks 14th overall as we mentioned previously.
- Sands (LA) 0. He's a rookie; ranks 25th at the moment.
- C. Gonzalez (COL) -2. This surprised me a bit. Everyone knows CarGo (probably the stupidest nickname I've seen recently) has blossomed into a force at the plate, but I had no idea he was inept in the field. Gonzalez is ranked 27th.
- Ross (SF) 0. He spent a month hurt and is still rounding into shape. Dewan assigns him no rank based on a lack of data.